2020 Convention and Print Comp Postponed
It is with an abundance of caution that PPA NJ has postponed the
2020 Convention and Print Competition
due to the Corona Virus Covid-19.
We will postpone for at least two to three months (maybe more), depending on knowing the extent of the virus in New Jersey.
We will provide an update as soon as we have more information.
PPA NJ appreciates your understanding and continued support.
PPA NJ State Council
2020 Image Competition Rules
The Professional Photographers Association of NJ (PPANJ) Image Competition will be held on March 28th, 2020 at Hampton Inn & Suites, 118 US Highway 46 East Fairfield NJ 07004 Times: 9:30am - 6:00pm. Entry into the competition is open to members of PPANJ, PPA and non-members. This competition will NOT be awarding PPA’s Seal of Approval for 2020. However, we will be judging images to the same standards and criteria. These rules pertain to images created by traditional photographic processes as well as those captured and/or manipulated electronically with a digital camera or scanner.
Please read all the rules. If you have any questions or concerns send them to [email protected]
NOTE: Be mindful of the Deadline & Fees.
- Entrant must have captured and created the original exposure.
- If an entry, in the good-faith opinion of the Photographic Exhibition Committee, violates copyright or trademark, that entry shall be disqualified. If it has been reproduced from an existing photograph, portrait, graphic or any other artwork produced by another person will be disqualified and not accepted or displayed.
- The entrant’s name cannot be displayed on the digital entry or on the front of the entry.
- A maximum of ten (10) entries may be submitted per entrant. Your four (4) best scores will determine your print case. Competition entry must be completed using the Print Competition’s online entry system prior to the online entry deadline of March 25th, 2020 at Midnight. On-site entry is not possible. Print cases must be delivered common carrier by March 25th 2020 or dropped off in person prior to 5:00 pm the on the March 25th 2020. Print cases will not be accepted if the online entry was not completed before the deadline.
- No entry will be eligible if it has been made under the supervision of an instructor or as a class assignment.
- Entries of the same subject in multiple images will be allowed, as long as the images are entirely different concepts.
- Entries previously receiving a score of 80 or higher at PPANJ, state level or at PPA National level competition are not eligible, including any image from an album which has scored 80 or higher.
- Entry media includes mounted prints, digital submissions, physical albums and digital albums.
PHOTOGRAPHIC OPEN COMPETITION CATEGORIES
A minimum of (2) makers are needed to be considered a category.
You must designate one of the below categories for each entry:
- Portrait: Images containing one or more subjects photographed outside of a Social Event
- Social/Event: Including Bar and Bat Mitzvah, Quinceanera, etc.
- Social/Event Albums: Including Bar and Bat Mitzvah, Quinceanera, etc.
- Commercial: Images must be done for paying clients. A Tear Sheet (PDF, jpeg,etc : a layout proof package of how the image is used for print / ad /etc.) is REQUIRED and must be sent to the Print Competition Administrator ( [email protected] ) via email.
- Illustrative: Consists of a scenic, pictorials, digital paintings and similar subject matter. Portraits and social events are not appropriate for this category.
- Wedding: Images and all elements of an image in the Wedding competition must be created during the time constraints of the actual event. The entrant or entrants must have captured all elements of the final submission from that wedding. Images in the Wedding competition should reflect the personality or personalities of the subject(s) or the story of the wedding as well as the personality, artistic and technical skills of the image maker. Images should include some kind of visual wedding reference(s). The original captured image (in RAW, jpg or film) must be available if requested by the print committee.
Note: All Images entered in this competition will be judged by the judges using the PPA set of “The 12 Elements”. PPANJ Image Competition Committee reserves the right to re-categorize a submission as they see fit.
REGISTRATION IS OPEN Feb15th 2020
WE WILL ONCE AGAIN UTILIZE THE RESOURCES OF
WWW.PRINTCOMPETITION.COM FOR THIS YEARS EVENT.
BELOW IS THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION LINK
ENTRY REGISTRATION DEADLINE
March 23rd 2020 AT Midnight.
Note: Once the upload is complete, you will receive an email confirmation of all the information regarding your registration.
Optional: As a member of PPA NJ, if you wish to have your entries judged for industry awards such as Fuji Masterpiece Award**, then you must also send in a physical print or album for judging.
** The awards listed above are subject to change by the companies that sponsor them**
All images and album entries must be submitted using the online registration form by taking the following link: https://www.printcompetition.com
At the top of the page you have two choices; “Register” or “Log-on”. If you are already a member click on “Log-on”. If you are not a member then you need to click on “Register”.
Also, be sure to select “PPANJ” as the organization. It will then lead you to the upload process.
All Images will be judged and scored using your submitted (10 maximum) Digital Files.
Digital Submission (Required)
- Files must be sized so the longest dimension is 4,000 pixels. Each file must contain an embedded color profile of either sRGB or Adobe RGB1998 and be saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10. Total file size should be 4.0 MB or slightly larger.
- Files are to be named: Maker’s Last name_ Category _ Image Title (Smith_portrait_Alone At Last.jpg). Please do not put an underscore anywhere in the image title!
Print Submission (Optional)
- Entrants may submit printed images of any shape and size with a minimum of 80 square inches (of the image) to a maximum of 480 square inches, with the largest dimension no longer than 24 inches. Mounted to a minimum board size of 16x20 to max of 20x24 (Recommended mounting thickness is 1/8” to 3/8”.)
- Print entries must be mounted on standard mount material (double weight mat board, gator board, ¼” foamboard). “Float” mounting is accepted. Images on metal and mounted to another standard material must have rounded corners and smooth edges. No mount that could potentially damage other entries or pose a danger to print handlers will be accepted.
- (Masonite, glass, stretcher frames or conventional frames are not allowed)
Multi-Maker album entries are permissible. However, each person involved in the multi-maker album must enter this competition. That is, they will each pay the entry fee, complete the online submission form, and upload the same album file as part of their case submission.
Digital Album Entry
- All page/spread files must have the longest file dimension at 4,000 pixels have an embedded color profile of either sRGB or Adobe RGB1998 and be saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10.
- Each page/spread file may contain as many images as you desire.
- An entry may contain up to 14, 2-page/spread files. Note: the total number of pages including the 1st and last page is 30.
- Files are to be numbered in viewing order using two digits (i.e., 01.jpg, 02.jpg, 03.jpg, etc.).
- All individual files must be compressed into a single ZIP file. The ZIP file must be named: Album_Title.zip (use the _ in place of spaces, e.g., Summer_Wedding.zip)
- Studio identification or entrant’s name cannot appear on any file within the album.
DEADLINES & FEES
Competition registration opens on Feb 15th 2020.
The fee is $75.00 (minimum case up to 6 entries) to $115.00 (maximum case of 10 entries) for PPA (NJ non members) or PPA NJ Members.
The fee is $100.00 (minimum case up to 6 entries) to $140.00 (maximum case of 10 entries) for out of state entries.
Your submission must be received by March 23rd 2020 Midnight (registration deadline, no exceptions).
Note: Do NOT send payment with your case. Doing so will disqualify your registration.
There will be two payments when you upload your files:
PPA NJ Members:
1: A $9.00 processing fee paid at time of image upload at www.printcompetition.com.
2: A processing fee of $66.00 for PPANJ at time of registration.
The minimum fee for Members will be $75.00.
Members may also submit up to 4 additional images for judging. The fee for each additional image is $10.00.
All Other Non-Members:
1: A $9.00 processing fee paid at time of image upload at www.printcompetition.com
2: A processing fee of $91.00 for PPANJ at time of registration.
The minimum fee for Non-Members is $100.00.
Non-members may also submit up to 4 additional images for judging. The fee for each additional image is $10.00.
SHIPPING & DELIVERY INSTRUCTIONS
For optional print case and albums only. The Case must be received at the address below by March 23rd 2020 – 5:00PM
Please ship or hand carry to: Steven Yahr 57 Merlin Dr Lakewood NJ 08701 (Please call if coming in person).
Entries must be shipped in an approved, secure, reusable shipping container commonly known as a “Print Case.”
Acceptable 16” X 20” Trans-port shipping cases can be found at www.LightImpressionsdirect.com .
A cardboard box is not acceptable. The hand delivery deadline is March 23rd 2020 by 5:00 pm to the same address (Above).
Print Cases will be available for pick up at end of Convention or return shipping fee is an additional $25 per case. You may also enclose a fully prepaid FedEx or UPS shipping document or label. Note: Failure to comply with these rules may result in disqualification of entry. The decisions of the PPANJ Print Competition Committee are final.
JUDGING AND AWARDS
- A five-person jury will judge entries by category.
- Entries will be judged based on PPA National Rules in all regards, including, color calibrated monitors, lighting and scoring.
- Entries will be presented electronically.
- Entries scoring either 78 or 79, will be considered deserving of a review using a “Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down” Process.
- Each image will be judged separately on a scale100 to 0. Awards will be given out as follows:
Exceptional 100-95 Blue Ribbon
Superior 94-90 Blue Ribbon
Excellent 89-85 Blue Ribbon
Deserving of a Merit 84-80 Blue Ribbon
Above Average 79-76 Red Ribbon
Average 75-74 Red Ribbon
Acceptable 73-70 White Ribbon
Unacceptable 69-00 White Ribbon
- This portion of the competition is conducted by the PPANJ Print Chairman and the Jury Chairman. Judges will be instructed to select from all Blue Ribbon entries in each category for a PPANJ Court of Honor Awards.
- If you are a member of PPANJ, and your entry scores an 80 or above, and you have also submitted it in physical form, you will be eligible to receive a Fuji Masterpiece Award ( if available at time of judging ) from our state.
Illustrative, Commercial, Electronic Imaging Print
** The awards listed above are subject to change by the companies that sponsor them**
Note: Additional awards will be selected for presentation to the members of PPANJ as are made available by the respective state associations.
ALTHOUGH THE UTMOST CARE WILL BE TAKEN, PLEASE BE AWARE THAT PPANJ ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR DAMAGE TO OR LOSS OF PRINTS SUBMITTED FOR COMPETITION.
**You must be a PPANJ member in good standing to be eligible for any state or industry awards**
Court of Honor Award Makers top 4 scoring entries receiving a score of 80 or higher from this state are eligible. A predetermined ratio from each category will receive this award.
Rookie Of The Year Award (first time entering your state’s image comp). This award is determined by the makers 4 highest scoring entries from
their print case.
Highest Cumulative Print Case Award : This award is determined by the makers 4 highest scoring entries from their print case.
Best Landscape Pictorial Award : (Best Landscape)
Best In Show Award : (NJ Best in Show, is determined by the judges and is not necessarily the highest scoring image)
320 Pin Top 4 entries with a cumulative score of 320 or higher.
CPP Award (Must be a Certified Pro Photographer from PPA in good standings) (Highest Scoring Entry)
ASP Award (American Society of Photographers, (ASP Member’s only in good standings) (Highest Scoring Entry)
Industry Awards : Fuji Masterpiece Award Program
(Print Only) (NJ Members Only – NJ Residents)
Click HERE to view PDF of Fuji print entry guidelines.
NOTE: A maximum of ten (10) entries may be submitted per entrant. Your four (4) highest scores will determine your print case for awards purposes.
Non-Members/Out of State Entries
All out of state and non-members entries must abide by all the same rules and will have their images judged under all the same criteria. Non-members and out of state (not residing in the State of New Jersey) entries are not eligible for any NJ State or Industry Awards.
There will be a separate judging to determine the Best Out Of State image, and a separate award will be given out. A certificate will also be awarded to all non-members and out of state entries that score 80 and above.
Entry into PPANJ Print Competition gives PPANJ permission to use your images for promotional purposes (website, convention and online presence), unless otherwise agreed to.