2021 Print Competition
2021 Image Competition Rules
The Professional Photographers Association of NJ (PPANJ) Image Competition will be held as a virtual event on April 11th, 2021 (Times: 9:00am - 4:30pm). Entry into the competition is open to members of PPANJ, PPA and non-members. This competition will NOT be awarding PPA’s Seal of Approval for 2021. Although we will be giving the images a numerical score, judging will be the same standards and criteria as PPA. These rules pertain to images created by traditional photographic processes as well as those captured and/or manipulated electronically with a digital camera, scanner or Photoshop techniques.
Please read all the rules. If you have any questions or concerns send them to [email protected] NOTE: Be mindful of the Deadlines & Fees.
- Entrant must have captured and created the original exposure.
- If an entry, in the good-faith opinion of the Photographic Exhibition Committee, violates copyright or trademark, that entry shall be disqualified. If it has been reproduced from an existing photograph, portrait, graphic or any other artwork produced by another person will be disqualified and not accepted or displayed.
- The entrant’s name cannot be displayed on the digital entry or on the front of the entry.
- UNLIMITED entries may be submitted per entrant. PPANJ member’s four (4) best scored entries will determine your print case. Competition entry must be completed using the Print Competition’s online entry system prior to the online entry deadline of April 8th, 2021 11:59pm. On-site entry is not possible. ALL ENTRIES MUST BE SUBMITTED IN DIGITAL FORMAT.
- No entry will be eligible if it has been made under the supervision of an instructor or as a class assignment.
- Entries of the same subject in multiple images will be allowed, as long as the images are entirely different concepts.
- Entries previously receiving a score of 80 or higher at PPANJ, state level or at PPA National level competition are not eligible, including any image from an album which has scored 80 or has merited at PPA.
- Entry media includes digital submissions only & digital albums.
PHOTOGRAPHIC OPEN COMPETITION CATEGORIES
You must designate one of the below categories for each entry:
- Portrait: Images containing one or more subjects photographed outside of a Social Event including studio pet portraits.
- Social/Event: Including Wedding, Bar and Bat Mitzvah, Quinceanera, etc.
- Social/Event Albums: Including Wedding, Bar and Bat Mitzvah, Quinceanera, etc.
- Illustrative: Consists of a scenic, pictorials, zoo or wildlife animals, digital paintings and similar subject matter. Portraits and social events are not appropriate for this category.
- Wedding: Images and all elements of an image in the wedding competition must be created during the time constraints of the actual event. The entrant or entrants must have captured all elements of the final submission from that wedding. Images in the wedding competition should reflect the personality or personalities of the subject(s) or the story of the wedding as well as the personality, artistic and technical skills of the image maker. Images should include some kind of visual wedding reference(s). The original captured image (in RAW, jpg or film) must be available if requested by the print committee.
- Entrants need to be PPANJ members to be eligible for PPANJ State awards in the Artist Competition.
Note: PPANJ Image Competition Committee reserves the right to re-categorize a submission as they see fit.
PPANJ Artist Competition Rules
The purpose of this competition is to allow the entrant to demonstrate their art skills and expertise in Artist category. Entries will be judged for digital, artistic, and technical proficiency. Entries can be created using digital or traditional art (such as painting and airbrush) or a combination of both.
- Entrants are required to upload a digital file for each image entered. All entries must be uploaded to printcompetition.com.
- All entries must be digital files for judging.
- No changes to your entry are permitted once your entry has been locked at com. No refunds will be issued after the entry fee is paid.
- Entries may be created in various artistic mediums. Photographs may be used in this category in creating an entry, but it is not a requirement. Entries may include freehand drawing or painting in traditional or digital applications. Entries can include stock photography, photographs, or artwork from other artist(s) with written consent to use those sources. Documentation may be requested by PPANJ before, during, or after the competition. If an entry, in the good-faith opinion of the Competition Committee, violates copyright, trademark, or any other applicable law and cannot be proven otherwise, that entry shall be disqualified and credits revoked, if issued.
- All processing, manipulation, artwork, or rendering must be done by the entrant.
- Guide images must be included on the face of the entry.
- No entry will be eligible if it has been made under the supervision of an instructor or as a class assignment. All images submitted must be self-directed.
- Entries of the same subject in multiple images will be allowed as long as the images are entirely different concepts.
- Entry media includes digital files only.
- Once an image has been awarded a score of 80 or higher from PPANJ or PPA merited image in any category, it may not be entered again in any other category or New Jersey competition, at any time, by any entrant.
- The entrant’s name shall not appear anywhere in or on the face of the entry.
- An unlimited number of entries may be submitted per entrant.
- Entrants need to be PPANJ members to be eligible for PPANJ State awards in the Artist Competition.
ARTIST COMPETITION CATEGORIES
You must designate one of the below categories for each entry.
- Artist Open
- Artist Restoration
REGISTRATION IS OPEN March 5th, 2021 12:01am
WE WILL ONCE AGAIN UTILIZE THE RESOURCES OF WWW.PRINTCOMPETITION.COM FOR THIS YEAR'S EVENT.
BELOW IS THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION LINK.
If you are not a member of Printcompetition.com you MUST become a member BEFORE entering images into the PPANJ 2021 competition.
ENTRY REGISTRATION DEADLINE
Note: Once the upload is complete, you will receive an email confirmation of all the information regarding your registration.
All images and album entries must be submitted using the online registration form by taking the following link: https://www.printcompetition.com
At the top of the page you have two choices; “Register” or “Log-on”. If you are already a member click on “Log-on”. If you are not a member then you need to click on “Register”.
Also, be sure to select “PPANJ” as the organization. It will then lead you to the upload process.
All Images will be judged and scored using your submitted Digital Files.
Digital Submission (Required)
- Files must be sized so the longest dimension is 4,000 pixels. Each file must contain an embedded color profile of either sRGB or Adobe RGB1998 and be saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10. Total file size should be 6.0 MB or less.
- Files are to be named: Maker’s Last name_ Category _ Image Title (Smith_portrait_Alone At Last.jpg). Please do not put an underscore anywhere in the image title!
Multi-Maker album entries are permissible. However, each person involved in the multi-maker album must enter this competition. That is, they will each pay the entry fee, complete the online submission form, and upload the same album file as part of their case submission.
Digital Album Entry
- All page/spread files must have the longest file dimension at 4,000 pixels have an embedded color profile of either sRGB or Adobe RGB1998 and be saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10.
- Each page/spread file may contain as many images as you desire.
- An entry may contain up to 14, 2-page/spread files. Note: the total number of pages including the 1st and last page is 30.
- Files are to be numbered in viewing order using two digits (i.e., 01.jpg, 02.jpg, 03.jpg, etc.).
- All individual files must be compressed into a single ZIP file. The ZIP file must be named: Album_Title.zip (use the _ in place of spaces, e.g., Summer_Wedding.zip)
- Studio identification or entrant’s name cannot appear on any file within the album.
DEADLINES & FEES
Competition registration opens on March 5, 2021 12:01am
The fee for a PPANJ Member is $10.00 per image.
The fee for Nonmembers: (PPA or any out of state member) is $15.00 per image.
There is no entry limit.
Competition Deadline is April 8, 2021 11:59pm. No entries will be accepted after this time.
Your submission must be received by the HARD Deadline April 8, 2021 11:59pm or it will NOT be included in the PPANJ 2021 Print Competition (absolutely no exceptions).
All Members & Non-Members:
1: You must first be a member of www.printcompetition.com to enter PPANJ 2021 Print Competition.
Please BOOKMARK this page to refer to guidlines.
JUDGING AND AWARDS
- A five-person jury will judge entries by category.
- Entries will be judged based on PPA National Rules in all regards, including, color calibrated monitors, lighting and scoring.
- Entries will be presented electronically.
- Each image will be judged separately on a scale 60 to 100. Awards will be given out as follows:
Exceptional 100-95 Blue Ribbon
Superior 94-90 Blue Ribbon
Excellent 89-85 Blue Ribbon
Deserving of a Merit 84-80 Blue Ribbon
Above Average 79-76 Red Ribbon
Average 75-74 Red Ribbon
Acceptable 73-70 White Ribbon
Unacceptable 69-65 White Ribbon
This portion of the competition is conducted by the PPANJ Print Chairman and the Jury Chairman.
Note: Additional awards will be selected for presentation to the members of PPANJ as are made available by the respective state associations.
**You must be a PPANJ member in good standing to be eligible for any state or industry awards**
PPANJ Member Awards
Court of Honor Award Top 20% of Blue ribbon from each category will eligible to receive this award.
Rookie of the Year Award (first time entering your state PPANJ’s image comp). This award is determined by the makers 4 highest scoring entries from
all images entered.
Highest Cumulative Print Case Award : This award is determined by the makers 4 highest scoring entries from all images entered.
Best Landscape Pictorial Award : (Best Landscape)
Best In Show Award : (NJ Best in Show, is determined by the judges and is not necessarily the highest scoring image)
320 Pin Top 4 entries with a cumulative score of 320 or higher.
CPP Award (Must be a Certified Pro Photographer from PPA in good standings) (Highest Scoring Entry)
ASP Award (American Society of Photographers, (ASP Member’s only in good standings) (Highest Scoring Entry)
NOTE: A maker may enter an UNLIMITED amount of images providing they meet the set fee per entry. The four (4) highest scored entries will determine your print case for awards purposes for PPANJ Members only.
Non-Members/Out of State Entries
All out of state and non-members entries must abide by all the same rules and will have their images judged under all the same criteria. Non-members and out of state (not residing in the State of New Jersey) entries are not eligible for any NJ State awards.
There will be a separate judging to determine the Best Out of State image, and a separate award will be given out.
Entry into PPANJ Print Competition gives PPANJ permission to use your images for promotional purposes (website, convention and online presence), unless otherwise agreed to (after IPC 2021).